After a few projects, my workbench was in quite a state. And this was after I had removed all of the tools to plan out part of this project. The big issues are that tools get mixed in with materials and are hard to find, and the sorting boxes which are great for organizing small parts are hard to look through when they're just in a big stack.
I did some CAD planning for a shelving system that would have a central panel for mounting tools and high angle shelves for the sorting boxes, so they could always be seen.
Cleared everything off the bench. Not pictured: the box I haphazardly threw everything into.
These are the angled shelf pieces. I made the side panels on a CNC milling machine - they have slots that hold the flat pieces very precisely, which made glueing them together relatively easy.
On the back of the angled shelves, there are pockets for holding screws.
The screws hold special nuts...
...that slot into aluminum rails.
The back of the assembled unit. You can see the center panel with all of the screws and hooks poking through from the other side. I trimmed those down with a dremel tool.
The front of the assembled unit.
In place. It's bolted to the workbench on the bottom and adjustable feet at the top pressure it against the ceiling.
Not pictured: The Herculean effort required to lift this monstrosity. I don't know how much it weighs but it's more than I can shoulder press.